The IT Ops Engineer is a highly technical role whose primary function is to manage and protect the IT Infrastructure through security best practices and tools. This includes researching and implementing new systems as needed and creating procedures to maintain them over time in a manner consistent with CIS controls to ensure security, availability, processing integrity, and confidentiality. These Infrastructure systems will be used by customers, employees, and systems admins. This role will wear multiple “hats” and will be expected to perform a broad variety of responsibilities. The ideal candidate for this role has foundational IT knowledge and a high level of motivation to learn Enterprise-grade technologies relatively quickly and in detail to create solutions for the organization with an emphasis on security.
- Over time, have in-depth knowledge of all infrastructure systems in the organization.
- Approach the implementation, configuration, and maintenance of all infrastructure systems in a controlled manner.
- Create and/or implement security controls using framework such as NIST and/orCIS.
- Implement technology solutions from soup to nuts based on business requirements.
- Document system for administration by other IT staff and train other IT staff on how to administer it.
- Patch and maintain infrastructure systems to achieve security standards and compliance.
- Setup and evaluate logs, vulnerability scans, compliance scans, penetration tests and take action when appropriate.
- Use root level access to configure all other levels of access including administrative users and basic users across our entire infrastructure, using a least-privileged and/or role-based access model.
- Configure user access logging and auditing in a wide variety of systems.
- Perform change control documentation and communicate changes in system configurations to other IT staff.
- Engineer new and existing infrastructure systems and applications to support the goals of the business and products.
- Establish global configuration standards which meet the needs of the wide variety of customers, users, and administrators who rely on the infrastructure systems.
- Works with IT Operations Manager to design and configure systems and overall IT Infrastructure.
- Will be required to travel for new systems implementations and maintenance, sometimes on short notice.
- Will be on part of an on call rotation and respond 24x7x365 to production-level outages.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2 or more years’ experience in a related field, or 4 or more years’ equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Familiarity with security frameworks, CIS controls, NIST, and vulnerability monitoring tools such as Nessus or something similar.
- Experience in threat mitigation, intrusion detection and prevention, and vulnerability monitoring.
- Experience with Juniper EX and QFX switches, Juniper SRX firewalls, JUNOS, VMWare, Tenable, Exchange Server, Pulse Secure OS and client software are all a plus.
- Ability to think logically and pay close attention to detail, prioritize, and adhere to deadlines. Willingness to take responsibility and show initiative to work when necessary to meet deadlines or when working on high-priority projects.
- Willingness to expand knowledge base and stay current with new technologies.
- Ability to learn relevant operating systems and applications.
- Ability to adapt in a changing workplace and participate in a team environment.
A Human Approach to Staffing
Our Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.