Our Client is looking for their first data engineer to join the Platform team and focus on building structured, high-quality data solutions. As a founding member of the data engineering function, you will make critical decisions about the technologies we use to process and manage data as we continue to rapidly scale. You will collaborate closely with members of our Analytics and Data Science teams to improve our decision-making ability, and your work will impact the evolution of the company through dashboards, core business metrics, financial calculations, and new features.
Our Client is a cross-platform mobile app developed with React Native and TypeScript, which talks to a backend service written in Kotlin and backed by a PostgreSQL database, all of which runs on AWS and is managed via Terraform and Ansible. Our current data stack also uses Rundeck, SQS, Python and Redshift. Part of your role will be to identify and introduce any additional technologies we’ll need to meet our data needs.
- Collaborating with colleagues across Analytics, Engineering, Product, Customer Support, and other departments to build impactful data technology solutions
- Owning and driving the architecture of our data infrastructure, solving problems related to scalability, stability, maintainability, and repeatability
- Building data pipelines, ETL jobs, and monitoring/alarming to maintain data integrity and data availability
- Contributing to the design and implementation of data governance policies
- Participating in design discussions about new features and providing thought leadership and architectural expertise
- Continuously shipping high-quality, well-tested, secure, and maintainable code
- Have 7+ years of experience as a software engineer, of which 3+ have been in a data-focused role
- Are passionate about data engineering, analytics, distributed systems and solving sophisticated data problems
- Have strong coding skills and experience with at least one object-oriented or functional programming language, preferably Java, Kotlin and Python
- Have experience working with a broad set of data technologies, e.g. Kafka, Spark, dbt, Hive, Presto, Snowflake, Redshift, SQL/NoSQL and columnar databases
- Care about agile software processes, crafting clean code, data-driven development, reliability, and testability
- Are highly energetic and proactive, with strong leadership skills and a growth mindset
- Are a clear communicator, comfortable working with both technical and non-technical collaborators
- Want to be part of an encouraging, inclusive, and hard-working environment that values both teamwork and autonomy
- Are committed to using your engineering skills for social good
A Human Approach to Staffing
Our Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.