We are looking for a Senior Database Engineer to join our rapidly growing team! This role is a hybrid role: part software engineer, part database expert. You will spend most of your time making application changes to improve database performance, scalability and reliability and delivering foundational database solutions and best practices for our backend engineering teams
As an early member of our team, you will get to participate in and contribute to the exciting growth of this company. We value individuals who are passionate and ambitious, yet humble and attentive. You will get to work alongside one or more senior members of our co-founder team.
We work out of an office in Chamblee, GA, which is walkable from the Chamblee MARTA station. We leverage collaboration tools like Slack and Microsoft Teams to communicate and collaborate daily.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively identify database performance impediments and resolve them by proposing and delivering changes to the codebase. Own this process end-to-end, from triaging issues to verifying your solution in production
- Deliver application changes that allow us to scale the platform and its database further and make sure we're prepared for data and customer growth
- Act as a Database Maintainer for the database codebase and review database-related application changes before they are released
- Providing database expertise to engineering teams through code reviews, pairing and training to help deliver optimal database designs and queries
- Create and incrementally improve documentation to reduce tribal knowledge, including
- Database best practices
- Workflows and database team processes
- Target architecture and long-term scalability considerations
- Improve tooling to detect performance bottlenecks early in the development cycle
- Expert-level understanding of relational databases, SQL and query optimization techniques and demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent performance problems
- Expert-level understanding of the internals of RDMS and distributed databases – experience with CockroachDB is a big plus
- 2-5 years of experience in developing modern data systems for analytics (e.g., BI, reporting, dashboards) and advanced analytics use cases
- Significant professional software engineering experience with SQL in large production environments
- Understanding of managing the way data is collected and maintained and how data is used with regards to data compliance frameworks
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational issues and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Comfort working in a start-up environment that is highly agile with an iterative software development process
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
A Human Approach to Staffing
Our Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.