We are seeking a highly motivated Backend & Data Engineer to join Client's Enterprise Data Services. Working very closely with Data Science, DevOps, QA, and Product/Project Managers you will play an active role in designing, building and deploying a large scale machine learning platform to support aerospace use cases. We are looking for solid backend and data engineers who have a strong interest in distributed compute as well as data processing at scale.
Our platform team builds tools, data processing, and machine learning pipelines for our data scientists and analysts to support vital segments of the company. Some projects include: predicting part failures on the industrial products we build (from jet engines to radar units to compressors used in space), project manufacturing demand, and models to help with airplane fleet management.
Strong Python skills will be required. But an ideal candidate should also be flexible. While most of our code is written in Python, we also have used Rust in a number of projects. Not to mention the odd legacy Java repository that needs the occasional dusting off for care and feeding.
Also valued is experience with technologies such as Databricks, Delta Lake, Dask, Snowflake, PySpark, Parquet, and the Python and Spark scientific ecosystem generally (Numpy, Pandas, Sympy, and SKLearn, Spark Machine Learning, etc..).
Additionally, we are now designing our next-gen ML platform, and exploring new frameworks and technologies, so a willingness to dive into complex problems to help the team find the most elegant and current solutions to do.
How a candidate communicates and approaches problems is important to us. We are looking for team players, who are willing to bring people across disciplines together.
This position will provide the unique opportunity to operate in a start-up-like environment within a Fortune 50 company. Our digital focus is geared towards releasing the insights inherent in best-in-class products and services. Together we aim to achieve new levels of productivity by changing the way we work and identifying new sources of growth for our customers.
- Design, write and deploy well-crafted and well-tested code in support of a large scale data processing and machine learning platform.
- Help develop and deploy a next generation data platform
- Monitor and maintain platform services, data pipelines and model serving in production
- Collaborate with data scientists, product and business stake holders on requirements and priorities
- Develop and maintain libraries and tools used by the data science team
- Work with QA and DevOps engineers to deploy high quality, well tested, resilient code
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, pragmatic code)
- Actively contribute to team and company-wide software standards
- Mentor junior team members
- 5+ years hands-on Python development experience, and a strong understanding of the Python ecosystem.
- Experience developing distributed systems and an understanding of cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with Databricks / Delta Lake is a strong plus
- A strong understanding of columnular formatted data such as Parquet
- Experience with Rust is a strong plus
- Experience with other systems (Go, C, C++, etc..) or server side programming programming language (Java, C#, etc..) a plus.
- Experience managing of either Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure a plus.
- Experience in Agile, Git, continuous integration/deployment
- Experience working with Data Science a strong plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with the ability to well work in cross functional teams
- Motivated self-starter with a strong enthusiasm to learn
- Results-oriented with strong communication and customer focus
- Possesses a flexible attitude and is willing to work with a range of technologies and languages with an open mind and without bias.
- A constant learner, actively interested in updating skill sets and knowledge, following trends and Papers in the Machine Learning, distributed systems, data engineering
A Human Approach to Staffing
Our Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.