Site Reliability Engineer
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is a discipline that combines software and systems engineering for building and running large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that internal and external services meet or exceed reliability and performance expectations while adhering to engineering principles.
SRE is also an engineering approach to building and running production systems – we engineer solutions to operational problems. As SREs are responsible for overall system operation, we use a breadth of tools and approaches to solve a broad set of problems. Practices such as limiting time spent on operational work, blameless postmortems, proactive identification, and prevention of potential outages.
SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big, and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn, grow, and take pride in our work.
- Engage in and improve the software development lifecycle – from inception and design, through development, deployment, operation and refinement
- Influence and design infrastructure, architecture, standards and methods for large-scale systems
- Support services prior to production via infrastructure design, software platform development, load testing, capacity planning and launch reviews
- Maintain services during deployment and in production by measuring and monitoring key performance and service level indicators including availability, latency, and overall system health
- Automate system scalability and continually work to improve system resiliency, performance and efficiency
- Practice sustainable incident response as part of an on-call rotation and through blameless postmortems
- Remediate tasks within corrective action plan via sustainable, preventative, and automated measures whenever possible
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent practical experience
- 5-7 years of experience developing and/or administering software in public cloud
- Experience in monitoring infrastructure and application uptime and availability to ensure functional and performance objectives.
- Demonstrable cross-functional knowledge with systems, storage, networking, security and databases
- System administration skills, including automation and orchestration of Linux/Windows using Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt Stack and/or containers (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Proficiency with continuous integration and continuous delivery tooling and practices
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Expertise designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive
- Experience managing Infrastructure as code via tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation
- A passion for automation with a desire to eliminate toil whenever possible
- Experience building software or maintaining systems in a highly secure, regulated or compliant industry
- Experience and passion for working within a DevOps culture and as part of a team
A human approach to staffing.
Our Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.